Brainerd Lakes Chamber of Commerce recently issued the following announcement.
Note: Appraisal appointments are fully booked, but all are welcome to come and watch Mark Moran reveal the history behind the objects!
The Friends of the Brainerd Public Library are sponsoring an antiques and collectibles appraisal event featuring author and antiques expert Mark F. Moran of Iola, Wisconsin, on Friday, November 1 from 2:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. at the Brainerd Public Library.
Pre-registration is required for those that would like to have an item appraised. Call the Brainerd Public Library at 218-829-5574 for details and appointment times. Everyone is welcome to watch as Moran works to find the history of the item and its value.
Moran, who has worked on PBS TV's Antiques Roadshow, has bought and sold antiques for more than 30 years. He is the author or co-author of more than 25 books on antiques and collectibles, including three editions of the 800-page annual Warman's Antiques & Collectibles.
Categories of objects for appraisal may include:
• Fine art, including paintings, drawings, prints and statuary.
• Furniture (smaller pieces only).
• Ceramics, including figural pottery, vases, dishes, kitchenware and stoneware.
• Glassware, including lighting, marbles and souvenir items.
• Advertising, including posters, lithographed tin, paper and figural objects.
• Folk art, including carvings, quilts, weathervanes, windmill weights and "outsider" art.
• Assorted toys, including dolls (bisque, composition and plastic), windups and mechanical banks.
• Metalware, including iron, bronze, brass, pot metal, silver, silver plate.
• Clocks, including mantel, hanging and figural.
• Costume jewelry, including brooches, bracelets, earrings.
• Musical Instruments, including string, wind and reed instruments.
• Sports Memorabilia.
Excluded items: all weapons, including swords and knives (though folding knives with advertising are accepted); traps (like leg-hold); Nazi memorabilia; coins and paper money; fine jewelry, including precious gems; Beanie Babies.
Attendees must be able to carry their own item or have someone to carry it for them (i.e. nothing on dollies or hand trucks). Opinions of value are informal and may not be used for insurance or charitable donation, which require a certified appraisal. In order to serve the greatest number of people, only one item per person/per family group may be appraised.
This presentation is sponsored by the Friends of the Brainerd Public Library through their volunteer and fundraising efforts, and is free of charge.
Moran is also available to make home visits for people with big items, fragile items, or many items. House calls are $75 an hour and there is no mileage charge if within 10 miles of the appraisal event site. To arrange, call 715-281-5060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What: Antiques and Collectibles Appraisal Program
Date and Time: Friday Nov 1, 2019
2:30 PM - 5:30 PM CDT
Location: Brainerd Public Library
416 S. 5th St.
Original source can be found here.
Source: Brainerd Lakes Chamber of Commerce